At the time of Mr Maurice Plomer’s appointment as “General Secretary” in May 1916 there were 56 “direct” members; within ten years this total had reached four figures.
The Board listing the Presidents from 1916 to date may be viewed in the Town Hall opposite the Royal Hants room.
The Chamber’s first President was Alderman Percy Bright J.P., (Mayor 1929/31), and the Chamber’s first offices were established in what was then known as Hankinson’s Building or Richmond Chambers, near the Bourne Avenue corner of the Square. After seven or eight years a move to larger premises near Holy Trinity Church was made and later to Cairns House, (former home of the YMCA) in St Peter’s Road. This building was totally destroyed by enemy action in 1943 and unfortunately every early record of the Chamber was lost.